The Healthier You: NHS Diabetes Prevention Programme is an initiative that can help patients reduce their chances of getting Type 2 diabetes.
If you are at high risk of developing diabetes, you could join the programme and make changes to improve your health for the future.
The 10-week programme covers healthy eating, lifestyle choices, help to lose weight and information about physical exercise.
These simple measures, as well as more awareness of the causes of Type 2 diabetes, could be the difference between having the condition – and avoiding it completely.
To check if you might be at risk of developing diabetes, use the online tool at www.diabetes.org.uk/risk then talk to your GP about your results. Your doctor might suggest a blood test and then refer you to take part in the programme. You can also sign up for the programme yourself by visiting www.preventing-diabetes.co.uk/referral
You will then receive tailored, personalised support to reduce their risk of Type 2 diabetes including education on healthy eating and lifestyle, help to lose weight and physical exercise programmes, all of which together have been proven to reduce the risk of developing the disease. You are eligible for the programme if you meet the following criteria:
- Aged 18 years and over
- Registered with a Hertfordshire GP practice
- Have high glucose levels – Find out what this means here
- Not pregnant
- Are able to take part in light/ moderate physical activity
What can you expect?
Once you have confirmed your place, you will be supported through the following steps:
- Initial one-to-one assessment with your Health and Wellbeing Coach to assess your health and wellbeing, understand your individual needs, motivations and programme goals.
- Join a local programme, which consists of nutrition guidance and support, individual strategies and tools to empower long term progress and physical activity sessions and advice.
- Your end of programme one-to-one review with your Health and Wellbeing Coach will celebrate your successes and achievements and consolidate learning to date. This one-to-one will support you with setting your post-programme goals.
- You can join the programme via group video conference, or online through apps and websites.